When it comes to feeding Labrador retrievers, or any other dog, some basic guidelines should be followed. These guidelines will make mealtimes much easier.
- It is important that your Labrador has a routine that it can follow, so it would help if you feed your lab in the same place and at the same time everyday.
- Your Labrador should never be interrupted when feeding.
- When feeding your Labrador make sure that any food which is given to him is broken up into small pieces in order to avoid any food getting lodged in his throat that could cause choking.
- Your labs food should always be dished out at room temperature. Do not feed your dog something straight off the stove or straight from the fridge.
- If your lab is no hungry one day and has left his food it should be removed after about 30min. This is especially important in the summer when food is more likely to spoil and attract flies.
- Always remember that your dog must eat whatever gets put in front of him. When feeding Labrador retrievers you must not allow them to become picky eaters.
- It is very important to provide your dog with fresh water throughout the day. Your labs water bowl must also be washed in hot water once a day so that there is no build-up of bacteria.
- Your labs food bowl must be washed after every meal.
These are pointers to help both you and your Labrador when it comes to meal times. By feeding at the same times everyday a schedule is set which will help your dog settle in your house. Through cleaning both the food and water bowls your labs health is being taken care of.
It is very important that you give your Labrador retriever nutritious, healthy food in a clean environment seen as dogs will eat pretty much anything.