6 Basic Rules
By following these basic rules it will make training Labrador retrievers a much easier task. Labs are very intelligent and are extremely capable of learning things very quickly.
These rules will help simplify the training process and make it easier and less confusing for your Labrador.
- The first thing to make sure of is that your lab is trained by only one member of the family
- Once your Labrador has been trained to follow certain commands it is very important that everyone uses the same commands to avoid your lab getting confused
- When training Labrador dogs it is important for them to know who is in command. You must be authoritative and you must also be very clear as to what your lab is and is not allowed to do
- When you are training Labradors you must always reward good behaviour, however bad behaviour should not be punished. A dog should never be trained by hitting it. If they have done something wrong you must let them know by using a stern tone of voice
- If you see that your dog is doing something wrong you must not call it over just to shout at him. By doing this your dog will stop trusting you and will stop coming when called!
- Patience and consistency is very important when training your lab. It will not happen overnight! You must also recognise when your pup has had enough for the day
Do you think you will be able to follow these simple rules? A well trained dog will be an absolute joy to have around. When training Labrador retrievers and any dog for that matter they will be happier knowing exactly what is expected of them. By following these basic training rules you could be well on your way to accomplish this.
Further Training Resources: